2008/06/13

Independent, 13th and Locust

I have been so busy painting lately, no time to blog properly. I just finished a 3 section 30 x 8 foot mural for a new boutique hotel called the Independent.
Its in a historic center city neighborhood recently renamed midcity village, more popularly known at the gayborhood. The immediate area was pretty seedy when I first saw it in the early 80s; a now deceased notorious speculator had purchase many of the buildings, and left them to unmaintained. That changed when he passed away; lots of condos and small businesses have revitalized and refreshed this area, and the Independent is part of that. The Independent is owned and operated by Hersha Hospitality Trust.
Mural across the street from the hotel, called Philadelphia Muses, by artist Meg Saligman, and some lovely details on bulidings nearby.

SInce I don't have a 30 foot tall (or long) wall in my studio, and because the renovations at the hotel would prevent me painting directly on the wall, we decided on painting it in 3 sections on canvas, in my studio. It meant I would again be painting sideways.
applying comp gold leaf to the mural

© Kim Senior Murals 2008

No comments: